Current Event


In the article I chose,”Cigarettes: More than 60% who try a cigarette become daily smokers, study says”, by Meera Senthilingam, states that at least 3 out of 5 people that try cigarettes become addicted. Out of 215,000 people, 60% tried a cigarette, and 69% of those become daily smokers in the long run. Another thing, 9 out of 10 Americans surveyed first tried cigarettes when they were under the age of 18. This illustrates how many adolescents smoked cigarettes before, but the statistics for adolescents have changed dramatically in the past years. Meera Senthilingam wrote this article to raise awareness for the issue that is cigarette addiction.I learned a couple of facts from this article. I learned that more than 60% of people who try a cigarette become addicted. I also learned that 9 out of 10 of the 60% tried the cigarette before the age of 18. Lastly, I learned that smoking among adolescents is less common now than before. I would recommend this article to the homies in Mexico. They are only 14-16 and are addicted to cigarettes. I have NEVER even thought of smoking a cigarette. Reading this article just made me want to destroy any cigarette I see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog